Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Racist Mountain Dew Commercial

Big time citrus soda Mountain Dew just pulled an internet ad that was deemed too racist.  It consisted of a woman victim needing to identify her attacker in a line up of guess what?...all black men.  Of course, there is one non-black suspect, which happens to be a goat, which taunts the women throughout the commercial.  The ad was attacked for continuing the stereotype that black males are violent thugs.

The 2013 Mountain Dew Commercial that is no more....

I suppose the free market drives people to complain about these kind of things.  However, for a soft drink that brands itself as the one and only drink with adolescent/young adult yarbels, the company seems to have shrunken away from the school yard bullies awfully quickly. Personally, I find myself offended that I can't find a clip of that ad anywhere on there internet without a shut down message claiming Pepsi Co. removed the video due to copyright violations.  This offend me because I think I should get to watch the ad myself and then decide if it is offensive enough to me to not forward.  Regardless, I think they should release a Mountain Dew can with a goat on it just to celebrate the fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment