Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A Correction for Sprite

Last week, while discussing Pepsi storming the Wild Wing barricades, I made an off-hand comment about Sprite.  I mentioned their tag-line "Obey Your Thirst" had been around since 1994.  Well I was a bit off-the-spot, a mistake I would never make with 7-Up.

Still More Cans for Trade February 2014
Little did I know, Sprite actually retired the "Obey Your Thirst" moniker back in 2010. As a lad who tries to keep his ear close to the soothing heartbeat of the soda world, I find this embarrassing. Sprite's current tagline is "For the Thirsty."  See what they did there?  With this new look, Coca-Cola is looking to give Sprite a little nudge.  See, Sprite reigns over 66 percent of the lemon-lime soda world, which makes it a type of kingpin, but they want more from their kingpin.  Sadly, less people are buying soda these days, which means if they can't get new people to buy soda, they can get current soda drinkers to switch to a new brand, hence the new tag-line.  So, 7-Up and Sierra Mist drinkers, be warned that if you are truly thirsty, those drinks are not for you.      

No comments:

Post a Comment