Thursday, February 28, 2013

7-UP Gold

Since thinking about Cool Spot, the 7-Up mascot in the 1980s, I've been on a little 7-Up kick lately.  I thought I'd look into 7-Up varieties to someday add to my can collection.  I came across this can I'd like to find:

7-Up Gold

7-Up Gold was only available for a short time in 1988, long before my can collecting times.  It was a spicy ginger-ale beverage that executives hoped would capture at least one percent of the cola market.  It also had caffeine which ironically went against their advertising campaign at the time of bragging how 7-Up drinks didn't have caffeine.  It's didn't work.  By 1989, it was gone and a fitting obituary was published in the New York Times that can be read here. If anybody have a 7-Up Gold can, please let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment