Saturday, February 23, 2013

I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke


I'm a Coca-Cola fan.  Now, I'm not a fanatic.  I buy and drink Pepsi occasionally.   For example, right now at the local grocery store, the Pepsi product 12 packs are a dollar less so I've been stocking up on those.  However, if you ask which I prefer, I'd say Coke.  Why?  I can't really tell the difference taste wise, which I suspect is sad.  I just like Coca-Cola because I like their marketing much better.  Coca-Cola's goal is to literally "bottle happiness."  I mean, sheesh, it's sugar, water, a little flavor, and carbonation   Big deal.  You like Coke, the marketing goes, because you associate it with happy memories. So when you drink Coca-Cola, you are getting a little refreshment and a endorphin rush with happy associations.  I like that.  It's brilliant manipulation and if I am going to be manipulated while I enjoy a drink, it might as well be a happy, peaceful, let's love the world, life, and give high-fives kinda feeling.  That's why Pepsi fails me.

At least while I was young, Pepsi was all about being young and having attitude.  Snowboarders, race cars, Britney Spears, you get it.  Generation NeXt.  What a bunch of hollow hype.  Give me Santa, Grandma's house, and a bottle of Coke over that Pepsi marketing any day.  So, I thought since this blog is about soda can collecting, but also about the grottos of interest surrounding soda, I'd post a commercial every now and again about, well, soda.  So below is Coca-Cola's hilltop "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" commercial   This is marketing brilliance.  I mean, you probably think this is a knock-off of "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."  Guess what?  It's the other way around...the Coke song was first.  Gives you those feel good vibes don't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment