Sunday, February 10, 2013

First Entry...Here we go!

This weekend I decided to become a soda can collector.  It will be a casual endeavor,  but I'm going to try to take it seriously.  My first goal will be to have 100 different cans by the end of June 2013.  A few reasons for justifying my collection.

1.)  I always wanted to collect something. I've tried various items since I was a kid but nothing really stuck.  I was excited about collecting bottle caps for a while about two years ago, but I don't drink so after the first dozen I found around a campground it was difficult to expand it.  I considered playing cards, but I don't play many card games.  I also considered stamps, but my wife thought it would be a waste of money.

2.)  I finally decided on cans because I love soda.  My wife loves soda.  My sons love soda.  It's an item we buy regularly so collecting them will not be a big expense.

3.) I want to collect something to share a hobby with my young sons.  I'm not a baseball card kind of man.  Soda cans are colorful and easy for my sons to obtain and understand.  It is also a potentially quick growing collection, which will make getting started easier.

4.) Soda cans are always changing.  From seasonal cans to movie tie-ins to limited time flavors, there are always new cans readily available.  I like that.

5.) My basement is dark and dingy, hence the title of this blog.  A nice soda can collection taking up space along the cement walls will cheer the place up a bit.

6.)  It's an experiment!  My wife does not yet know about my intention to collect.  She rarely goes in the basement.  I'm curious to see how many cans I collect until she discovers them!

So, with the posting of this first post, Cans in the Basement is now open for people to observe the journey of  casual soda can collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment