Wednesday, March 27, 2013

13 Songs with Coca-Cola


While Coca-Cola is thrilled to get us all yearning to buy the world a Coke, they are also pleased when song writers drop a little Coca-Cola reference into their lyrics.  Below are thirteen songs Coca-Cola actually advertises on their website as having a name check for Coca-Cola.

"Good Directions," Billy Currington
"When I Paint My Masterpiece," The Band
"Ellsworth," Rascal Flatts
"Drive-In," The Beach Boys
"I'm Just a Girl," Deana Carter
"Having a Party," Sam Cooke
"Hip to My Heart," The Band Perry
"When Worlds Collide," Neil Young
"Small Town Girl," Kelly Pickler
"Lola," The Kinks
"I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool," Barbra Mendrell
"Spin Me a Christmas," Aqua

The one that comes to mind that's missing is "Come Together" by the Beatles where John Lennon sings "He's got monkey finger, he shoots Coca-Cola."  I'm wondering if this is an oversight or an intentional omission because of the very real possibility Lennon was making a thinly veiled reference to shooting cocaine.

At any rate, yes, soda cans are mundane.  But soda has a history and it pops up in various nooks and crannies of culture and I find that refreshing.  You know, like a Coke.


No comments:

Post a Comment