Friday, March 22, 2013

Beyonce and Pepsi

I just stumbled upon an article where Mark Bittman, a food critic for the New York times, lambasted soda companies and their sponsor celebrities.  Bittman eyes Pepsi in particular with their lavish endorsement deals they provide the likes of Britney Spears, Beyonce, and Cindy Crawford.  Since soda is unhealthy, the argument goes, celebrities should be ashamed of themselves for marketing the product, just how we would look down on celebrities winking on a billboard near a school endorsing a cigarette.  Bittman was not alone in his criticism.

Kiss of Pepsi, Super Bowl 2013
I don't find the idea so offensive.  Personally, seeing Beyonce's face painted with the Pepsi symbol during the Super Bowl promotions turned me off to their product.  Ditto for Britney Spears hacking the soda as well.  I don't care for them as singers or celebrities so why would I want to drink what they drink?

Now, Coca-Cola...they have a marketing campaign I am a sucker for.  Holidays, polar bears, good summer times, buying the whole world Coke, that kind of stuff I love.  Beyonce and the glib celebrities like her actually make me hate the world.  As pathetic as it sounds, Coca-Cola actually makes me love the world a little more.

However, regardless of how I feel about Beyonce, I wish I had her Pespi can just because.  It was before my can collecting days but it's an advertising siren of the times.

Beyonce 2013 Super Bowl Pepsi Can

No comments:

Post a Comment