Thursday, March 14, 2013

Jack White and Coca-Cola

I came across this Coca-Cola commercial that was supposedly in Australia   The music was done by Jack White of The White Stripes, a now defunct musical duo I enjoy.  I was scrolling through the comments and they separated into two camps.  First, there were those folks who understandably called Jack White a sell-out.  I mean, here is a musician who rambles in the album notes of Elephant about the mass produced "cereal box" world that we live in but does a commercial for the world's biggest, and arguably most successfully marketed of corporations.  I get that critique   On the other hand, there were also those folks were told everyone to cut Jack White a break.  I mean, as one poster so memorably put it, "if the guy has a Coca-Cola fetish, then so what?  He gets to do a commercial for a product he loves."  That phrase, "Coca-Cola fetish" glared out at me.  I never thought of it that way, but as I've blogged before, Coca-Cola is all about marketing their sugar water so grandly that we have that type of emotional relationship with it: a Coca-Cola fetish.  Anyway, I give no Jack no gripe about his commercial   The guy is all about the colors red, white, and black  anyway and Coca-Cola has two out of three of them.  Advertise and drink away, Jack White.  I love your music and enjoy a Coca-Cola.  Just save me a can or two from Australia when you are done for my collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment